Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tofutti Vegan Cream Cheese & Sour Cream

Another great brand that we’ve been using in many of our recipes, as well as in daily use isTofutti. In recipes and as garnish, we use their vegan cream cheese and sour cream on a fairly regular basis. Both are pretty amazing substitutions for their dairy counterparts!

We’ve used Tofutti’s Better Than Cream Cheese in many recipes, including cream cheese-based frostings for cakes & cupcakes, vegan truffles, cucumber & cream cheese sandwiches, and as a base for dips such as a dill dip & an onion dip. It may also be used as a sub for its dairy counterpart in vegan cheese cake-- something I have yet to try out but would love to experiment with. And of course, you can use it to spread on your bagels!

I also love their Better Than Sour Cream! We’ve used it as a straight up sub to accompany dishes that generally use sour cream as a garnish, such as latkes, squash soups, and Mexican cuisine. Anywhere you’d use dairy sour cream, this would work as a great vegan sub!

Of course, they have many other products besides their cream cheese and sour cream. In fact, I was first introduced to their brand years ago when I realized I was lactose intolerant and was looking into alternatives to dairy ice cream. They sure make one mean ice cream sandwich! But in general, their cream cheese and sour cream are what really sold me to their brand, and both products have become regular items in my kitchen. I almost always keep one or both on hand!

No comments: